I had the opportunity to review Jim Hodges Productions Henty Short Stories Collection. This MP3 CD consists of G.A. Henty short stories that are made into audio books. The cost for this MP3 CD is $25 (or $18 for online immediate download). The total time of this is 3 hours and 30 minutes.
This collection has five different short stories (averaging about 30 minutes per story). One story has two parts so there are six different files.
The stories on this are best for those 10 years and up (and I can confirm that to be true! Some of the things are a bit gruesome.) With that said, they do have actual recommendations for those in the age range of 5 – 10 on their website so if that applies to you, you might want to check the others out!
For me, this was a bit difficult to get in to and stay with because it is read as Henty wrote…old time English. It has so much in it that is different than the way we write and speak today that I had a hard time “getting past” that and then once I did I often had a hard time “staying with” the story. [This is similar to why I read the New King James Bible instead of the King James…I just have a hard time with “old time English”.]
With that said, the stories ARE intriguing and interesting. I do not really know a lot about his writings but I know many who love them. He is a really good writer and this stories are very interesting.
If you are intrigued and want to know more about this particular recording, you can hear a sample chapter by clicking HERE.
If you are interested in how G.A. Henty’s writings can help with history, geography, language and character, you may be interested in listening to THIS 50 minute recording of Jim Hodges sharing WHY he chose Henty stories.
I will share the top five reasons here:
- They tell very accurate history.
- He is a great storyteller.
- He provides excellent role models, especially for young men.
- He wrote like an Englishman of the 19th century would write.
- Jim Hodges desires to do what he can to inspire a generation of Mighty Men of Valor so often called up to do battle in the Old Testament. Today’s warriors are not always the ones wearing battle fatigues or desert camouflage, they are committed to remaining married no matter what, who will be actively engaged in their church and communities, who are excellent role models for their children, and who say no to temptation. We need Mighty Men of Valor in our government, families, businesses, communities, and even our churches.
In case you are a bit confused about what an MP3 is (as I was) here is a bit more of an explanation:
Read more Jim Hodges Production reviews (we reviewed 22 different items so this is not the only thing) from the Schoolhouse Review Crew!
Here’s praying you have fun learning!