Today is, of course, Mother’s Day. A day that fills me with so many emotions that I am never really sure which way I am going. Today is definitely not a happy day for me…but I pray some day that will change.
This post is for all of us who cringe on Mother’s Day…who aren’t all over-joyous and excited about this day. This is a post meant to encourage us…that even though our past is hurtful…the future doesn’t have to remain that way.
Some of the thoughts going through my mind and heart:
- My childhood was not a good one therefore I am not thankful for a “wonderful mother” as so many others.
- My mother is not a part of our lives therefore this day brings additional pain, hurt and anger.
- I see posts of “Dog Mom” on Facebook and am reminded that she loved her dogs far more than me.
However, in an attempt to change this day to a more positive experience, I am trying to choose to think of these things:
- I love my boys beyond words and I pray they see that daily.
- Although I am not “the best” mom, I do try.
- I believe I am doing a better job than my mom did.
Although I am not sure my boys would “rise and call her blessed” (Proverbs 31:28a) I do believe they love me and they know I love them.
So…instead of looking to the PAST…I will choose to look to the FUTURE!
Hugs my friend…and think of Mandisa’s wonderful song “Overcomer“!
There…see…I’m feeling better already! I even have a smile on my face!
Have a wonderfully blessed day!