We started homeschooling four years ago when I was able to stay home and work part-time. J was in 7th Grade when we started. He had always gotten A’s and B’s in public school so I was SHOCKED to realize he had NO CLUE what a noun, verb, adjective, subject, predict, etc. was in a sentence. WOW!
We have been working hard to catch up – and to find something that would work for us. Being in 10th Grade now, writing skills are becoming more and more important. He has been moving along nicely on his basic understandings but has still been having difficulty with his writing.
Over the years I have heard good things about Essentials in Writing but we never pursued it.
We have had the opportunity to review Essentials in Writing, Grade 10, Essay Writing & Research Paper for the last several weeks and even in that short time I have seen a HUGE improvement in J’s writing! I do not know what exactly it is about this program that works so good – all I know is that it is working! This mama is one happy person!
I received the CD ROM which contains 3 discs. The disks are the printable workbook as well as the Teacher Instruction videos for each lesson. The program works by watching a small video clip (honestly, I think *THIS* is a BIG help for my son – this mixed with the fact that they allow him to use things that HE is interested it) then doing a couple fairly quick assignments. They then move on to the next Lesson. It is not meant to be done daily but every other day so we alternated between this and his grammar program.
Want to know what is covered? I took this directly from their website:
Table of Contents
- SENTENCE STRUCTURE – dependent and independent clause; simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences; address sentence errors (fragment, run on, and comma splice)
- FORMAL PARAGRAPH – structure; expository, persuasive, compare/contrast, descriptive, cause/effect, and narrative paragraphs
- THE WRITING PROCESS – in depth study of each part of the writing process; practice the writing process with each multiparagraph composition
- ESSAYS (formal and informal) – detailed instruction and step by step process for narrative, personal, expository, persuasive, and compare/contrast essays
- RESEARCH PAPER (project) – detailed instruction and step by step process to conduct a research project and write a research paper (CAUSE/EFFECT)
Make sure to check out what my other crew mates had to say by clicking the banner below:
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this product through the Schoolhouse Review Crew in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. All opinions I have expressed are my own or those of my family. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC Regulations.